There are many situations where you have to use an image with a transparent background. So what you can do in these situations. You can create a transparent background with the help of Windows built-in image application Microsoft Paint and Microsoft Paint 3D. However, MS Paint is a Windows built-in image editor used for basic editings like rotating, cropping and resizing an image.
Most photographers preferred professional tools like Adobe over MS Paint. Adobe Photoshop comes with some exclusive features that you will not find in your MS Paint. The only thing you do in MS Paint is making a transparent background. In this article, you will get to know almost everything about how to make the background transparent in Paint and Paint 3D.
Table of Contents
What do you mean by Transparent selection in Microsoft Paint
Microsoft Paint and Paint 3D is a Windows built-in image editor application used for some basic editings like rotating, cropping and resizing images.
Sometimes you can also use it for creating new drawings. However, MS Paint comes with an easy-to-use interface that you can use for simple and complex editing tasks.
Sometimes you will get into a situation where you have to use an image with a transparent background.
In this case, the transparent selection feature in MS Paint comes into action. You can use this feature for creating an image with a transparent background.
The best thing is that you can easily stack two images having transparent background images. Remember that you can use this feature only for minor edits.
You can’t use this on high-quality images. You can select a part of a picture and a specific color and turn it into a background transparent with the help of the Transparent selection feature in MS Paint.
Steps for How to make a background transparent in Paint and Paint 3D
There are two ways to make this happen. In the first way, you can cut out a foreground area in an image to make the background transparent.
After cutting out a foreground, you can paste this foreground over another image.
On the other hand, in a second way, you can delete the area from an image. It will leave with a transparent field. Then you can fill it by adding a second background image layer.
However, you can also add background transparent to chosen foregrounds. You can not save transparent backgrounds in Paint so that you can combine pictures with payers.
Below, we will show you some simple steps for making a transparent background in Microsoft Paint and Paint 3D. Please walk through these steps carefully from start to end.
Let’s get started.
How to remove a foreground area from an image
1. Type Paint in Cortana’s search box and open it.
2. At the top left side of your screen, click on File.
3. Click on open.
4. Select the image from your computer that you want to edit and hit open.
5. At the top left side of your screen, click on the Select button and choose Transparent selection.
6. Again, click on the Select button.
7. Click on the Free-form selection option.
8. Now, hold the left mouse button and move the cursor to trace around a foreground area.
9. Right-click on the selected area.
10. Click on cut.
It will remove the selected area from the picture.
How to paste this foreground area on a new image
You successfully cut out a foreground area from a picture. Now, you have to paste this foreground area on a new image. Let’s walk through the steps to do so.
1. Open a new image in Paint using the steps we showed above.
2. Now, you have to press the Ctrl+V button to paste that foreground area on your new image.
You can move the pasted foreground image by left-clicking on it and dragging it to a suitable location.
However, if you are not satisfied with the results, you can use some free photo editors like inPixio photo editor, PhotoWorks, Adobe Photoshop Express, Fotor and many more.
Some of these photo editors have free trials and come with a free version.
Fotor, ACDSee and inPixio are the photo editors with a free version.
Steps for making a transparent background in Microsoft Paint 3D
Below, we will walk through some simple steps for making a transparent background in Microsoft Paint 3D. Please put a close look at these steps from start to end.
However, it also includes two methods, deleting a foreground area and then pasting it on a new picture. Do not worry.
We will show you every single step for each method.
Deleting a foreground area from an image
1. Type Paint 3D on Cortana’s search box and open it.
2. At the top left side of your screen, click on the Menu button.
3. Now, you have to click open and then select Browse files.
4. Select an image from your computer that you want to edit and click open.
5. Click on the canvas button at the top of your screen.
After clicking on the canvas button, a sidebar will appear on your screen.
6. You have to toggle the button of the transparent canvas right to enable it.
7. At the top left side of your screen, click on the select button.
Now, hold the left mouse button and move the cursor over an area of your picture that you want to delete.
8. Press the Ctrl+X button to delete the foreground image from your selected picture.
After pressing Ctrl+X, the foreground image will grey out. You successfully deleted the foreground area from your picture.
9. Click on the menu button and select save as.
10. Click on the image option to save your selected foreground image in a 2D PNG size.
11. Type the name of your file.
12. Click on the save button.
Now you have to insert that saved transparent image on a new background picture.
Inserting the saved transparent image on a new background picture
Follow these steps carefully to insert your saved transparent image on a new background picture.
1. Firstly, click on the Menu button at the top left side of your screen and select New.
2. Select the image from your computer that you want to edit by clicking on the menu, open and then browse files.
3. Now, click on the Menu button
4. Click on insert.
You have to choose the transparent image that you saved and click on open.
Your saved transparent image will appear on the top of the new background picture.
The new background picture will fill up the transparent area of your saved image.
5. Now, hold the left mouse button and move your cursor to resize the overlapping picture.
However, you can also rotate the foreground picture by clicking on the rotation circle at the top of the selection border. Now, you can move the cursor clockwise or anticlockwise direction.
Bonus Tip- How to make a background transparent in Adobe photoshop
Adobe Photoshop is one of the professional tools if we are talking digital graphic designs. Adobe comes with many features, including creating a transparent background.
However, it supports image layers that will allow you to overlap images for a more prominent effect. Here we will show you some simple steps for making a transparent background in Adobe Photoshop.
1. On the right-pane, visit the Layers tab.
2. Right-click on the image that you want to edit and choose Duplicate Layer.
3. Hide the newly created bottom picture layer.
4. In the layers tab, click on the original picture.
5. On the left side of your screen, click on the Magic Wand.
6 Now, you have to choose the background in your image that you want to turn transparent.
7. Press the delete button on your keyboard.
8. Click on the File button at the top left side of your screen and select save as.
9 Type the name of your file and click on the Save button.
Hurray! You successfully created a transparent background on Adobe Photoshop.
How to make the background transparent in Paint- Frequently Asked Questions.
1. Is there any alternative to Microsoft Paint?
You will find many alternatives to Microsoft Paint, including Adobe Photoshop, GIMP and many more. However, some of these alternatives are professional-grade graphics design tools.
2. Can I use Microsoft Paint for free?
Yes, you can use Microsoft Paint free of cost.
3. From where can I download Microsoft Paint?
You can download Microsoft Paint through Microsoft Store. However, you can also download some other professional-grade graphics design tools from Microsoft Store.
We hope you get to know almost everything about how to make the background transparent in Paint. You only have to cut out the foreground area from an image and then pasting it on the other picture to add transparent backgrounds. So start exploring your creativity using the information given in this article.